Tuesday, June 28, 2005

california class-five ground support

What is she doing with those huge pinecones?

photo by Mefford Williams

Onto California, we met up with Robin and Becky at Lake Tahoe. Strange little tourist town with good, happy hour, 3 year anniversary sushi. The four of us headed over to Coloma where we paddle a few sections of the American river in a sort of scattered manner. From Coloma, Robin joined us in the van and we headed over to Yuba Gap where we met up with Amos and Toby.

Yuba Gap put-in

photo by Shanna Powell

I hiked in and shot some photos before running shuttle.

Mefford running 2nd big drop on Yuba Gap

photo by Shanna Powell

Robin running rapid after 1st portage

photo by Shanna Powell

Once into the gorges, the boys and Robin found many big rapids, slides, and other enjoyable aspects to the 10 1/2 hour long day.
Mefford running the first slide of one of the inner gorges of the run.

photo by Toby MacDermott

Heading Andrew Holcombe's advice, we were "weary of the bolder gardens." The crew on one of a few portages on the day.

photo by Toby MacDermott

For the next few days, I'll be ground support for the Royal Gorge of the South Fork of the American. After dropping the crew off on Monday, trespassing on private land, I hiked into Rattlesnake to meet up with the crew before running shuttle. I waited for 6 hours after I dropped them off and when they didn't show, I shot some photos and headed for the 2.5 hour hike out. (Note, when hiking into Rattlesnake, take 3 waters and a good lunch). I was wasted when I got to the top, and hoping they hadn't been arrested. As of Tuesday at 1:30pm, no call from jail.

Drops above the bridge.

photo by Shanna Powell

Rattlesnake Falls

photo by Shanna Powell

On a different note, since this blog is para la familia, I will be spending the night with relatives who live near Orange Vale, California. I really appreciate the time I have running shuttle to spend with them, and look forward to seeing them for the first time in California as well as for the first time in probably 10 years or so. Thanks a bunch Cousins Ed and Suzanne.

No comments: